Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sir Robinson - Ideas on Education

I must say that I truly enjoyed watching Sir Robinson talk about his ideas on education. I thought that he was funny and very insightful. I believe that the one size fits all doesn’t apply to education. Ideally, we should choose to always do what we love. Unfortunately, this is not the case in real world. There are times when we need to do something we don’t like. We need a diversity of talents in this world. There was nothing in particular that I disagreed with and he reminded me of circumstances that tend to happen quite often in schools today. Just as he talked about a boy that wanted to be a fireman a very similar thing happened to me in school. I was taking courses in the medical field in high school. Immediately my counselor and teachers put me in the category of technical that I would be going into a trade such as nursing and that I wouldn’t be going into college. Comments were made similar to those on the video to me that I had great potential and I would be wasting my talent if I choose a technical field but I don’t think that was the case.
As stated by Sir Robinson many people go through their whole lives having no real sense of what their talents may be, or if they have any to speak of and not everybody needs to go to college and not everybody needs to go now. I appreciate school more now. I was also glad to see him reference Natalie Merchant and her work of recovering old poems. I too am a fan.

TedTalksDirector (Poster). Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution [Video]. (2010, May 24). Retrieved from http://youtu.be/r9LelXa3U_I.

No comments:

Post a Comment